Re: Life Span of PPID horse

Angelika Busi

Hi Bobbie,

My Arabian mare got diagnosed with Cushing's in 2004, when she was 17 years old. She is now 33 years old. Although we are in a difficult period because the medication doesn't seem to control her ACTH very well anymore (after 16 years of pergolide use), she looks good, never lost her bossy attitude and still likes to go.
Having the support of this group and its wonderful volunteers made a huge difference for us. Getting their feedback, experiences and knowledge changed her diet, caused me to buy my own, tested hay, and gave me the confidence to look for and finally find a veterinarian who prescribes the needed doses of medication.
However, most horse owners that I have met love their horses dearly but have no experience with horse management. They don't question feeding methods, feed advertising and completely trust what farriers or vets are recommending, even though, sadly, I have seen quite a few farriers and some vets who really didn't give good advice about these metabolic issues.

Angelika and Qiqi & Apollo

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Angelika%20and%20Qiqi%20-%20Apollo/Quqi

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Angelika%20and%20Qiqi%20-%20Apollo/Apollo

NE Illinois