Re: Bullitt has PPID - How to start meds?

Hi Sarah,
I wanted to give you a link to a good document about pergolide. https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/3%20Cushings%20Disease%20-%20PPID/Cushings%20Disease%20Treatments/Pergolide/Pergolide%20101.pdf

I recommend that you purchase the APF adaptogen mentioned in the "Side Effects" paragraph near the bottom of the document. Here is a link with more info about APF.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/APF/Adaptogens.pdf
I had a horse that was diagnosed with Cushings/PPID. I followed the advise given to me by members of this group. I began giving my horse APF four days before he was started on pergolide. His initial dose was a 1/4 of his full dose for 4 days then 1/2 dose for 4 days then full dose after that. He never experienced the depression, loss of appetite and lethargy that is called the VEIL.In fact he took the pergolide so well that I was able to speed up the dose increases.

How you will manage splitting a tiny dose down even further? That won't be easy. I would suggest putting the pergolide (Prascend) into a treat like a prune or something else that is soft. Some people manage to core out a piece of carrot to put the medication into.

Use our files and the search box/button here on the main page and in our files. You can scroll thru the files categories or do a search on a word/topic

Best of luck for your mini.
--
Bonnie Snodgrass 07-2016

ECIR Group Primary Response