Attn New Member : Shirley J. in Michigan

Welcome Shirley,
When new ECIR members submit their first post/message they get our "Welcome New Member" post. Since your first post was within a chain of responses to another member's post I have started a new message directed specifically to you. I hope you see this welcome message.

It doesn't appear that you have a horse in a current crisis but your horse is definitely diagnosed as PPID (Cushings) and is being treated with with Prascend (Pergolide). I know that you've read a lot of messages by now about how common the "Veil" is when starting a horse on Pergolide.

Your post:
I am interested in what others say about this because I've had a similar experience.  My boy started Prascend on 9/12 after the TRH test indicated PPID. He also started at 1/2 tablet for 5 days and seemed fine overall.  After moving to a whole tablet he just seems to be "out of sorts."  He's typically pretty laid back, but lately he's been on and off his grain.  He eats his hay okay and always looks for treats but hasn't been finishing his breakfast or dinner.  Behavior wise, he seems more distracted than usual, and this past week especially he will have moments where he seems tired and uninterested, and then moments where he tears around like a mad man. After yesterday's shenanigans (which luckily didn't result in any injury to him or anyone else) I texted my vet who recommended discontinuing the Prascend for a week and then restarting, again at 1/2 tab for a week, then up to a whole tab. Before we started the rx, the vet said he has very good results stopping and restarting meds so....fingers crossed!

My experience with the "Veil":

My deceased gelding was diagnosed with PPID and I followed guidelines suggested by the ECIR group. First, before starting Pergolide I started him on APF, an adaptogen.
https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/files/3%20Cushings%20Disease%20-%20PPID/Cushings%20Disease%20Treatments/Pergolide/Pergolide%20101.pdf
After one week of APF I started him on a 1/4 tablet per day of pergolide. I did this for 4 days, then he was titrated up to 1/2 tablet per day for 4 days then finally to a full tablet. My horse never experienced the veil at all . However, PPID horses do eventually need an increase in pergolide and/or Prascend. If their dose of pergolide isn't increased they may slip back into the visual symptoms of the veil, like loss of appetite, grumpiness, etc. They also may begin to lose weight. ACTH levels will begin to rise in early summer increase before tapering downward into the fall.

I had learned about this rise of ACTH and asked my vet for a new prescription so he got 1.5 mg per day. His attitude and appetite improved. He remained on the increased dose for the following year. This is a common scenario with PPID horses. Most of them will gradually need increasing medication over the years. I chose to use generic pergolide instead of Prascend because the cost was so much lower.

Well here is the document for new members that we ask you to read. If you have any questions or need help we ask that you start a NEW MESSAGE and put a few words in the subject line that will get the attention of people who can help you. For instance if you are having trouble with uploading your case history FIRST try using our Main Group WIKI. The Wiki has all the ECIR HOW TO DO just about everything that members need. Then if you are still struggling you can use our SEARCH box that is at the top of all pages. If you are in the messages area your search will search thru previous messages for a match. If you are in the FILES area then the search will be within the Files documents.

Please: Always remember to not HIJACK another members message/post. In other words it is fine to contribute to another person's message as long as you are on topic and not starting another subject. You may have a question for the original poster or a suggestion, but please don't make their post about you.

Welcome to the ECIR Group:

Group provides the best, most up to date information on Cushing's (PPID) and Insulin Resistance (IR). Please
explore our website where you'll find tons of great information that will help you to quickly understand the main things you need to know to start helping your horse. Also open any of the links below (in blue font) for more information/instructions that will save you time.

DIAGNOSIS: There are two conditions dealt with here: Cushings (PPID) and Insulin Resistance (IR). These are two separate issues that share some overlapping symptoms. An equine may be either PPID or IR, neither or both. While increasing age is the greatest risk factor for developing PPID, IR can appear at any age and may have a genetic component. Blood work is used for diagnosis as well as monitoring the level of control of each.

PPID is diagnosed using the Endogenous ACTH test, while IR is diagnosed by testing non-fasting insulin and glucose.

Treatment: IR is a metabolic type - not a disease - that is managed with a low sugar+starch diet and exercise (as able). The super-efficient easy keeper type breeds such as minis, ponies, Morgans, Arabs, Rockies are some of the classic examples. PPID is a progressive disease that is treated with the medication pergolide. Some, but not all, individuals may experience a temporary loss of appetite, lethargy and/or depression when first starting the medication. To avoid this "pergolide veil" (scroll down for side effects), we recommend weaning onto the drug slowly and the use of the product APF. The best long term results are seen when the ACTH is maintained in the middle of the normal range at all times, including during the annual seasonal rise. To accomplish this, the amount of medication may need to increase over time. Neither condition is ever "cured", only properly controlled for the remainder of the equine's life. If your partner is both PPID and IR then both medication and diet management will be needed.

  • low carb (less than 10% sugar+starch)
  • low fat (4% or less)
  • mineral balanced

We use grass hay, tested to be under 10% ESC + starch, with minerals added to balance the excesses and deficiencies in the hay, plus salt, and to replace the fragile ingredients that are lost when grass is cured into hay, we add ground flax seed and Vitamin E. This diet is crucial for an IR horse, but also supports the delicate immune system of a PPID horse.

What you don't feed on the IR diet is every bit as, if not more important than, what you do feed! No grass. No grain. No sugary treats, including apples and carrots. No brown/red salt blocks which contain iron (and sometimes molasses) which interferes with mineral balancing, so white salt blocks only.

No products containing molasses. No bagged feeds with a combined sugar and starch of over 10% or starch over about 4%, or fat over about 4%. Unfortunately, even bagged feeds that say they are designed for IR and/or PPID equines are usually too high in sugar, starch and/or fat. It’s really important to know the actual analysis and not be fooled by a name that says it is suitable for IR/PPID individuals.

We do not recommend feeding alfalfa hay to IR/PPID equines as it makes many of them laminitic. Although it tends to be low in sugar, many times the starch is higher and does not soak out. Additionally, protein and calcium are quite high, which can contribute to sore footedness and make mineral balancing very difficult.

The ECIR Group provides the best, most up to date information on Cushing's (PPID) and Insulin Resistance (IR). Please explore our website where you'll find tons of great information that will help you to quickly understand the main things you need to know to start helping your horse. Also open any of the links below (in blue font) for more information/instructions that will save you time.

[...]

P.S. - I'm not trying to be ambiguous; I haven't been able to figure out how to load our case history yet. I will try again though!
--
Shirley J. in Michigan
Joined 2020 (because what else could go wrong?)

ECIR Group Primary Response

White Cloud, Michigan, USA

Mouse Case History, Photo Album