Re: Cushings question

Sherry Morse

Hi Clarissa,

As Martha and Lorna have already pointed out it's a hemoglobin A1c test and measures blood sugar in humans.  Not sure what the reference range in a horse is or why the vet would test for it and then say that the horse has Cushings based on that result which has nothing to do with ACTH.  In this case I would ask the vet for an explanation of why that test was done and what the result indicates.

The only study I could find in horses that gave a level was this one https://www.researchgate.net/publication/248869283_Glycated_Hemoglobin_is_an_Indicator_of_Blood_Glucose_Status_in_Horses_Preliminary_Study and based on those results the level found in your friend's horse is excessively high and the horse probably would test as IR given the usual insulin and glucose tests.