Re: Urgent Emergency

tosborne@...

Michele, I'm really sorry that your horse and you are going through this.

I did a quick internet search on the naquazone " Trichlormethiazide is an oral combination product marketed under the name Naquasone as a treatment for udder edema in cows. It is used to reduce mild swellings, especially in the legs of horses, by causing the body to lose water and sodium chloride by decreasing the reabsorption of these electrolytes in the kidneys. In combination with dexamethasone, which is a potent anti-inflammatory, it should be used only under the supervision of a veterinarian who has made a proper diagnostic evaluation.

Trichlor/dexamethasone does not cure the underlying cause of the swelling. Usage:Trichlormethiazide combined with dexamethasone is used to reduce mild swelling in the legs of horses. Because each component of the product works by a different mechanism, trichlor/dex contains a smaller dose of the individual drugs than might be used when administered separately.  Precautions: Dexamethasone is a corticosteroid and should be used with extreme caution in any horse prone to laminitis.

Trichlormethiazide is a diuretic and prolonged use can result in electrolyte depletion and dehydration. Free access to water and salt are important."

Based on this, I would be very leary about administering the drug to your Schimpie, especially since she has had laminitis induced by steriods before.  To my way of thinking, if it doesn't cure the underlying cause of the swelling, it is not worth the risk.  I would use ice packs covered with dish towels or other soft thin fabric. And for shock, blanket your mare and try to get some Rescue Remedy.  In Ontario, you can get rescue remedy at most health stores and many grocery stores also carry it.

I would go back to the vet and lay out your concerns.  I would be surprised if they can't come up with an alternative for you.

I will keep you and Schimpie in my heart.  Please keep us posted on her progress.

--
Teresa O in Ontario, Canada 2020
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Teresa%20and%20Snickers