Re: Compounded Pergolide instead of Prascend

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 06:19 PM, Cheryl Oickle wrote:
I deal with Island Pharmacy and they are awesome. It took time to wrap my head around the strength difference after we discussed it three ways between vet and pharmacy and me. Basically 1 mg of compounded pergolide mesylate delivers 0.7 mg of the prascend equivalent due to the compounding ingredient.
At the risk of confusing things, both Prascend and compounded pergolide are pergolide mesylate.  Both are also in a base of some sort because 1 mg is the equivalent of less than 2 grains of salt, virtually an invisibly small amount.  Compounding ingredients have nothing to do with it. It's the amount of pergolide mesylate and therefore of pergolide activity that is different in some compounded products vs Prascend.