Re: chickens in horse hay/ chance for salmonella with my IR horse

We had a barn chicken for a few years.  She was the last of the laying flock and we thought she would be warmer over the winter in a horse stall.  She had her own box but after awhile we began letting her explore the barn and make herself at home.  She was very cute!  She made herself a nest from Logo’s hay droppings on the barn floor right outside his stall .  They didn’t share food so that wasn’t an issue.  But, when I think of all the other critters that share the barn with the horses, chickens might be the least of the problem.  Whenever there’s food around, there’s going to be company.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo