Re: Off Feed Again

Buzz

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 06:06 PM, Martha McSherry wrote:

Hi Marsha,
I’m puzzling about the continuing increases in APF you are giving Dame to manage her veil .  I’m not familiar with this approach.  Could you fill me in a bit on how you got there, please, so I can learn from it too?  It may not be the veil that she is experiencing but instead a need for more pergolide.  According to her Case History, it’s been a month since you last increased her pergolide – the veil should have passed by now and definitely would not be coming and going.  When do you plan to do your next ACTH test?  Your post says you increased Prascend ten days ago so I’m not sure what happened in the meantime.

if there’s a time of day when the others are all in, I would focus on feeding her then when she‘s not as distracted.  If you increase the amount of soaked ODTBC cubes you give her, does she eat them, given plenty of time?   Posting photos would be good.  1100# does not suggest skinny 15.2 h TB to me but maybe.

My gut feeling is that increasing the amount APF will not help.  I would probably continue giving her an amount you feel comfortable giving until the rise has completely passed, you’ve retested and made any appropriate changes in pergolide dosage.  As pergolide dose increases made during the rise don’t seem to be as effective as at other times of year, as the rise disappears, it may be more likely that she will begin feeling the effects of the pergolide you are giving her and might need the APF.  However, she would have to be very sensitive indeed as that increase in pergolide effectiveness would be extremely gradual as we head into December.

--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo

[...]

 Hi Martha! Yes, I have gradually titrated up on her APF pro, but only as I increased her dose of pergolide. Initially I did 4 days of just APF before retrying her on prascend. That may be what is confusing and I may need to adjust my CH. Im not very good navigating the site yet, but still working on it! What happebed was I tried  the prascend first, no APF,  that did not work! So, I had to take her off the prascend and started all over again Using APF.  I spoke with Dr Van Noy at Abbott and he said you can either titrate up or start at 10 ml and go down. Either way was safe to do. I have also given the APF mid day and then the prascend at evening feeding.
--
My vet wants to test again in Jan. Which I wondered about as that's awhie off and I dont like having to wonder if her dose is helping or not.

She takes at least 2 hrs to eat a feeding, ususlly a bit longer. I do soak it all.  She has a mini friend in the barn with her, but the others are out and I dont own them. So I feed at 8:30 - 9 am and try to let her out for an hr or so before it's time to feed mid day. Then try to get her back out  for a couple hrs before evening meal. She eats dome grass, but quids a lott to. The only hay I have found that she likes and can eat some is Teff. So, it's important for her to do the 3 meals to try to keep wt on her,  but she has an old track fetlock injury and will stock up if she is in a stall all day.  It is  huge balancing act with her care. And yes, Martha she is super sensitive. Always had been. I hope Ive answered your questions and clarified our situation. Thank you so much Martha! Any further ideas, I am totally open!

Marsha and Dame - Buzzy TN 2019

https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Marsha%20and%20Dame%20-%20Buzzy