Heavier Coat Than Usual, Chasteberry Extract and Prascend

Nancy & Vinnie & Summer

Hi all,

So i have been pondering why Vinnie has grown a much heavier coat this year so I thought I would throw this out to see if there is any considerations I need to make or change supplement wise.

Vinnie is IR he has never been formally diagnosed PPID.  This year we decided to put him on a low dose of pergolide during seasonal rise because his  ACTH was higher than it previously had been, but well within normal range.  We did this because his body condition continued to go up and down crestiness and fat pads and looking more metabolic even though diet is lined up.
ACTH numbers:

Cornell

9.35

pg/ml

9-35

ACTH

Cornell

13.4

pg/ml

9-35

2pm

90

Cornell

24

pg/ml

9-35

I had already had Vinnie on Gray Horse Defense which has CTB included, but after seeing his ACTH go up, I added one more scoop at night of the Uckele CTB 5x because I had read of all the positive benefits it could have on horses that sympomatically Vinnie seemed to fit into. The only thing he didn't have trouble with was his coat.

Fast forward to August, he started to drop coat like crazy about the first week in August.  He was shedding out so much coat that I thought he was going to be missing coat in some spots as his hair got super fine.. then about mid to late Aug. he started to grow a pretty heavy winter coat (heavy for him).  Usually last show of the year which is in Oct, he has a tight summer coat still and is just starting to think about growing some hair.

So early Sept I didn't like the fact that his crest started to look more metabolic and he started to look rounder so I messaged my vet and we had put on the table early July that we may start him on pergolide, so 9/15 I started him on a low dose.  I had already started APF with the possibility that this may be the route we took.  The pergolide dose we are at now is  0.5 after having a couple false starts with the veil.

My question is, do you all think his coat growth is a likely possibility that he will be PPID positive in Jan when we retest or is it possible that adding too much CTB caused a strange backwards effect increasing coat growth?

Or are there other possibilities I need to consider, like my acupuncturist suggested that perhaps the smoke cover caused an early start because the days were so much darker earlier than usual here in California.  I will say, we have had fires the last three years but nothing like the smoke cover we experienced this year.   Nov 2018 was similar but the fires seeemed later in the year.

Thanks in advance.  Nancy
--
Nancy and Vinnie and Summer
Oakley, Ca