Re: dapples, ppid and possible nutrition issues

gypsylassie

I don't know about the dapples, but rusting probably means he needs extra copper and zinc.   Years ago when I had a Friesian, he never had dapples, but would get "sun bleached".   Back then I read an article in Michael Plumb's Horse Journal (probably another of Dr Kellon's) about sun bleaching and how it isn't the sun, it's unbalanced minerals with two of the ones that are often deficient being Zinc and Copper. This goes back a good 20 yrs, but I *think* the article went on to suggest several hoof supplements that included good amounts of zinc and copper.   I started using one of them and his coat stayed black.  I may have started with Grand Meadows and then switched to Horse Tech's Glanzen.
Laura K Chappie & Beau over the bridge
2011 N IL