Re: 2 months after initial laminitis episode

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

At one extreme, there's a level of pain that will drop any horse (or human). Beyond that, we have no way of  comparing the pain one horse experiences to another, especially as manifested in their behavior. It's not that simple. For example, the horse is a prey animal whose instinct is to run. Being down is a very vulnerable position. Depending on the individual's personality, they may chose to avoid that as long as possible while another may give in to it. They can't talk so we can't tell what they're thinking.