Re: Audi's Diet

lindsaykrauland@...

As always, thanks for the info!

I hope I’m not being stubborn with the diet stuff.  I just want to have a REALLY good idea that Audi NEEDS a major overhaul before I put in the time and money necessary to switch up his current diet.  And since, Dr. Kellon, you have said you think he is gaining some weight, it gives me a glimmer of hope that maybe we’re heading in the right direction already??

I was re-organizing my horse binder this morning and came across the previous diets I had been feeding Audi.  Both of these were offered with free-choice hay, which at the time was the native/Bermuda mix that was analyzed on 4/15/20.

Diet 1:
5 lb Safe Starch
2 lb Flax
4 lb ODTBC
+minerals etc (including Tri-Amino for the low protein hay)

Diet 2:
5 lb Safe Starch
2 lb Flax
6 lb ODTBC
+minerals etc (including Tri-Amino for the low protein hay)

Keeping in mind that these diets didn’t seem to yield major changes in Audi’s body condition (and both were fed for at least 2 months each), does it seem that changing his current diet will yield any better results? I promise I won’t ask again!

Current diet is:
15 lb hay (from 10/23 analysis)
4 lb Safe Starch
1 lb Flax
3 lb RSR Beet Pulp
2 lb ODTBC
+minerals etc

Proposed diet is:
10 lb hay
6 lb RSR Beet Pulp
3 lb Wheat Bran
4 lb ODTBC
1 lb Flax
+minerals etc

OR (depending on pricing):
10 lb hay
12 lb ODTBC
1 lb Flax
1 lb RSR Beet Pulp
+minerals etc

And on that note, what is considered a “good” daily weight gain for a mature horse?

--
Lindsay in TX 2020

Audi Case History:  https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Lindsay%20and%20Audi

Audi Photo Album: