Re: Gas colic remedies or preventstives

Tracy

Salsa had a gas colic a few years back and my vet said I could give him Gas-X when I noticed it but to still call vet out. Of course.

The Gas-X would just provide a bit of relief while waiting on the vet to arrive.  He told me for Salsa at about 830 lbs he could have 8 chewables (which I keep in my barn first aid kit).

At the time he thought Salsa had likely run out of hay for too long - but after spending more time on this group I am not convinced of that.
Not sure about prevention.

What actually and truly causes a gas colic?
--
Tracy and Salsa (1999 model year Paso Fino)
Middle TN USA, September 2019