Re: Nitrates in Hay

The form of iodine used in iodized salt in the USA, potassium iodide, is not stable over the long term in all conditions. It is subject to degradation from heat, humidity and exposure to air, which cause iodide to oxidize to iodine, which sublimates (evaporates). If you want the full technical details, real the bottom post on this page. It's interesting. https://www.ign.org/p142002372.html

From my personal experience, it's hard to store 25 pounds of salt in a water-proof, air-tight container. I've used a huge bin that supplements came in, but I always find the salt clumped during winter rains. I thought that If I were buying and feeding iodized salt from 1 pound boxes, I'd use it up fast enough to avoid degradation of the iodine. However, in my climate, in my tackroom, salt in Morton's boxes got hard as a rock, meaning it was exposed to moisture.

Your climate, your storage conditions may vary from mine, but I don't know how you prevent it from being exposed to air.

There's another factor.  I can't feed enough salt to supply the amount of iodine I like to supplement when hay has elevated nitrates. I found it simpler to ignore the iodine supplied by iodized salt and simply supply the needed iodine from Source or Ocean-K.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator