Re: hay analysis 1st or 2nd cutting

Firstqualityhay@...

Daisey,

Testing is really the only way to know for sure.  Test results can vary based on maturity at the time of cut.  Some would argue that hay cut early vs late has a noticeable impact in sugar content.  Based on this article (  https://georgiaforages.caes.uga.edu/content/dam/caes-subsite/forages/docs/faqs/050FAQ-timeofday.pdf ), I’m not so sure it matters with respect to grass hay and our own experience forage testing early morning or late evening hay cuttings.  I can’t speak to legumes.

Pulling core samples for testing is not difficult nor are the tools expensive.  Sometimes your co-op or extension agent will do this or loan you the tools to do so.  Our customers typically want  Equi-Analytical’s 603 Trainer forage test.

Take care,
Bill
--
Bill J. in VA 2020