Re: Bullitt and Kate Case Histories Updated and Thank you

Maxine McArthur

Hi Sarah
It sounds like you are heading in the right direction by slowly increasing his supplements--hopefully the brewers yeast will prove to be a winner. Hard to tell if he needs more pergolide if he isn't showing symptoms currently.
Some of our more trim-conscious mods may have further comment on his trim--I was just wondering, looking at the photos from November, whether the farrier is scraping sole off at the front of the foot? It looks much cleaner than the rest of the sole. Of course, this may be a winter-clean 'snow hoof', so forgive me if that is the case. Our temps seldom fall below -5C and we don't get snow, so I'm unfamiliar with what feet in your environment would look like.
Also, it seems to be quite a flat trim, with no roll around the sharp edges of the walls. If you recall, in her markups ( ))  Lavinia did advise bevelling the outer edges of the walls--it looks like your farrier is certainly keeping the walls down and encouraging weight-bearing on frog, bars and sole, but I was wondering if a light roll all around at ground level might aid breakover.

As always, I defer to Lavinia and more trim-experienced mods.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response