Re: Mild laminitis after dental

Joy V

Hi Cass,

I'll be getting him tested again in the spring but you could be right.  Although, his PPID was so low at his recheck I do think it was controlled during the rise.  The IR however is a different story.  But the last time I had him tested I hadn't been able to get him on tested hay yet.  Since he's been on tested hay, he has been doing better and better lameness wise and all his symptoms had resolved.  I will ask my vet for 2 separate samples so 1 set can be sent to Davis.  He is resistant to sending them there, but I'm sure he will if I pay for it ...

For this float, the vet used a support and did release the speculum 3 times during the float.  Willie had no ulcerations, and his mouth was in pretty good shape, so the float was quick, about 15 minutes.  And yes, Willie was over drugged, poor guy.  It took about an hour to get him from the big barn on the property back to his paddock.  It's about a 5 minute walk normally.

Thank you for weighing in Cass, I have a lot to consider and think about.

Willie was looking better last night.  I did not dose with Banamine.  I'll see how much he used his shavings pile when I check the game cam this morning.  On a fantastic note, the tenant at the barn who liked to sneak feed Willie sugary snacks has been evicted and is off the property.  So glad about that.

Thank you all for your suggestions and thought provoking questions.  I'm so grateful for this group!

--
Joy and Willie (PPID/IR)
Nevada County, CA - 2019