Re: Deworming ECIR Horses

Maxine McArthur

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 01:52 AM, Eleanor Kellon, VMD wrote:
"Core" deworming for me for an EMS animal is twice a year ivermectin or moxidectin (spring and fall), once a year double dose Strongid paste 2 doses, 2 weeks apart, or a month of daily Strongid pellets for tapeworms. Details beyond that depend on the exposure  likelihood and the individual animal.
Dr Kellon
For those of us in places where the Strongid (pyrantel pamoate) is not available, is moxidectin+praziquantel or ivermectin+praziquantel safe to use once a year? I tend to do the moxi+prazi twice yearly or moxi+prazi in autumn and 3xivermectin 3 weeks apart in spring, with two horses whose IR is (up til now) controlled.

In Australia, we can get the following combinations to deal with tapeworms other than the praziquantel: 30 mL tube of Oxfendazole 6g, Pyrantel embonate 7.8g
Abamectin 4 mg/g, morantel tartrate 167 mg/g
Morantel tartrate and oxfendazole

There is also a three-in-one wormer that uses ivermectin, pyrantel and praziquantel, one that uses oxfendazole, praziquantel and abamectin, and also one that uses abamectin and praziquantel.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response