Re: Beet Pulp Inquiry

Maxine McArthur

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 11:47 PM, Brenda Gasch Mittelstadt wrote:
Thanks to Maxine on the Maxisoy idea. I have two that put on weight so am glad you noted information on that. What are your thoughts about the inflammatory properties of soy?
Hi Brenda
To be honest, I don't think about the inflammatory properties of soy, given the small amount of the hulls that they eat with no obvious ill effects. There are so many things to worry about with our 'special' horses that I pick my battles, lol.
To maintain a baseline of health so that they can best deal with any inflammatory conditions, I try to make sure my horses get appropriate minerals balanced to their forage, extra Vit E and linseed (flax), plenty of exercise, salt and easy access to water. If they are struggling, as Indy was recently with her uveitis, I might add extras recommended here (in her case it was the N-actyl-cysteine, and I've also added spirulina and jiaogulan for allergies at times).

 If you're trying to find a carrier feed for a fussy eater, sometimes it helps to stick with the feed that you know is safe, but present it differently. For example, I recently started Dangles on boswellia for his arthritic clicky hip, and when I mixed the powder through his damp feed, he tossed the bucket scornfully. However, when I scattered the powder on the bottom of the bucket then tipped his feed over it without mixing, he ate the lot. I know some members do the opposite--they sprinkle the minerals/supps on top of the feed. Experimentation is a bit annoying when you have failures (and expensive), but it is certainly a test of our creativity!

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response