Re: Metabolic test results back; seeking interpretation of results. #file-notice

Kirsten Rasmussen

Yes, do what you can now (until she's back in work) to reduce her sugar intake, especially if she is still in pain.  You want to do your best to make sure the new hoof growing in is healthy and well-connected to shorten her downtime, so being really stringent with diet and getting insulin as low as possible and doing frequent trims are critical.

The time frame I've seen for my horse has been within 2-3 days of a diet change he starts to seem off, maybe a little more tender footed or more head bobbing while walking.  I seem to miss these signs until about 5-7 days when it gets worse and one morning (around day 7-9?) I come out to see him hobbling around in pain and it becomes clear he is laminitic.   That's when I remember to check for bounding pulses to confirm that he is having a flare-up, then in hind sight I remember how he was a bit off a week ago and oh yeah that was just after he got into his buddy's hay or just after I stopped soaking his hay.  That was the progression 2x this year.  I hope I've learned now to pay attention the moment he looks a bit off.  However, once starting to soak hay, by 24 hrs there is a slight improvement and over 2-3 days it is clear he is walking better.  A week later he can be almost back to normal (not rideable, but more comfortable for turn-out again) but the time to heal seems to depend on how much damage was done to his hooves during the flare-up.

I would expect a reduction in pain within a few days of soaking K's hay IF high insulin is still a problem.  If not, then it is more likely pain is related to the hoof changes from before.  Trim, soft pads in boots (not sure if that's part of the NANRIC boot, a felt pad is better than no pad though) +/- warmth might help.  My horse does not have a problem with cold temperatures and snow so not all horses do, but the experience of this group shows that it is very common.

Once they are exercising though, especially heavy exercise like endurance training, it really does help.  During exercise and for a short time after an intense workout their body does not need insulin to get glucose into the cells, so you can feed higher sugar foods like pasture or even grains like whole oats after a workout and not get a peak in insulin.  The effects of exercise also seem to improve insulin sensitivity for at least 24 hrs after exercise.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History