Re: Testing for high Iron

Nancy C

Also see Dr Kellon's 2013 NO Laminitis! Conference presentation on Iron Overload. Download is free.

https://www.ecirhorse.org/proceedings-2013.php

Dr Kellon will be presenting new information from her paper with Dr. Gustafson, at the conference in August 2021.

I was present with my farrier for a wonderful gelding who under went blood loss through surgery significant enough to reduce his iron overload status. His insulin was dramatically reduced, but only temporarily. As he recovered, I believe his iron status went up again as well, but I'd have to check that.

In every conversation I have been part of on this topic with Dr Kellon, the key, and the starting point for insulin control, is diet. Same for iron overload. Exercise when possible.  We now have drugs that can be used if needed.
--
Nancy C in NH
Join us at the 2021 NO Laminitis! Conference, August 13-15, ECIR Virtual Conference Room