Managing hoof boots

sclander1@...

--
My horse, Boss, has recently been diagnosed EMS with insulin levels >200. He is very foot sore and I'd like to use hoof boots with pads to help alleviate this. He is in a paddock with ice and snow footing and has a run-in shelter with loads of shavings to provide some softer footing. He has been improving slowly over the past 2 months. First are hoof boots appropriate in this environment? I've looked for info on boots in this group but have been unable to find any, what have I missed. Also, if boots are used how often are they removed and put back on? Do they work on icy footing?
Sue M in ME 2021