Re: Relevante trim guidelines

Lynn

Thank you Lavinia! I am super excited. Since he has been hand walked almost every day since November 2020 I had planned to saddle him, hang a couple 5 lb. sand bags and hand walk him in the arena for 30 minutes. I thought I would do that several times then follow that the next week by getting on and riding (walk only) for 10 or 15 minutes to start. If that sounds like a reasonable introduction to formal exercise then I will implement. I did want to share something I hope will encourage others here that are fighting the good fight. There's a trainer in his late 60s that is often hired by quarter horse breeders near our farm to take on young animals that come to our barn temporarily for him to start/train. He is very well thought of - I like him because he is kind, listens to the horse and pulls from the techniques of a lot of experts ..not just subscribing to one. He gets results because he employs common sense with a non-violent approach. Saturday I had Relevante out and was grooming him and "Cowboy Joe" - who was around when Relevante was first diagnosed and looked terrible with full blown uncontrolled PPID symptoms following laminitis [in this case the dreaded precursor to PPID] - came up to me and said, "You know...I didn't want to say anything...but I really didn't think he was going to make it. I didn't think he would pull out of it. It's amazing what you have done with him. He looks great. So when are you coming back into the arena to ride?" Of course, I was quick to tell him that it wasn't me at all but a whole army of volunteers, vets, our hoof guru Lavinia and others that have carried us through this marathon. I showed him the trim markups we do, the radiograph comparisons that showed such marked improvement and he was quite amazed and interested by what is accomplished by this group. As am I! I am truly overwhelmed with gratitude to everyone who has contributed to us reaching this point in the journey.
--
Lynn
Beavercreek, Ohio