Re: Orchard Hay from Oregon

Hi, Cindy.
I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to buy hay sight unseen when you can't touch it and open a sample bale.

My "As Fed" conversion is the same as yours.

This winter, some late season orchard grass from southern Oregon was clearly impacted by very heavy smoke pollution from wild fires burning from September until they finally burned out. Every plant growing outside over a large area of the West Coast was coated with soot from wildfire smoke, which is a nasty mix of everything that burned. I suggest you ask if this hay was affected. I rinse all hay from one load that was harvested after August 2020.

2020 was also a drought year. That can result in dirty hay.

I don't share the assessment of Timothy being superior to Orchard Grass hay. Good hay is good hay, weed-free, suitable for the level of work of the horses being fed.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator