Re: Help! Rising ACTH and Insulin

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Suzy,

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but your description of the paddock being a mix of weeds and grasses is a red flag when insulin is so high.  Even if it's not lush and green, stressed grasses and some weeds can have much higher sugar content.  It can take so little to trigger laminitis.  Can you make a smaller area next to the shelter completely grass/weed-free and see if that helps Scout?  I have my pole barn divided in 2 with panels and I keep my insulin resistant horse on the side where I scrupulously kill grass, and my non-IR boarder/companion horse on the other side where I don't fuss about killing grass.  The non-IR horse is also eating a different hay that my IR horse cannot tolerate so I have to keep them separate anyways.  They both come and go as they like in their 2 parallel paddocks, and can mutually groom over the steel panels.

I also agree with Sherry that increasing his pergolide is a good idea because 33.9 is high for March.  But the insulin going back up so high suggests to me that better dietary control might be needed.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History