Re: New Member - Shetland with acute laminitis and cushings

Maxine McArthur

Hi Karen
Can you get Energreen Maxisoy? It's soyhull pellets, nutritionally similar to beet pulp and a safer feed than the chaffs. You can mix it with beet pulp as well (that's what I do) after rinse/soak/rinsing the beet pulp. Zero is generally a safe feed but if he's actively laminitic I would stop it for now.
As the welcome message above says, make sure there's no grass anywhere he can reach, even if it looks dead. I have a friend who moved to Tassie from Canberra (she's in Dover) and was appalled at the lushness of the grass there. Even her young, active Arabian riding horse is on a track system and dry-lotted at night.

Let us know what his blood test results are, and if you can get the case history done we can help you further.

Canberra, Australia 2010
ECIR Primary Response