Re: Bloodwork

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Cheryl,

Blood should be pulled at least 4 hrs after the first hay of the day (or 4 hrs after hay is given following any >6 hrs without food).  Whatever time Jewel finishes her morning meal is when the 6-hr countdown starts.  So if she eats at 7 and finishes by 8, I would book her test between 11 am (4 hrs after starting eating) and 2pm (6 hrs after finishing eating).  If she gets more hay before 2pm, her blood could be pulled anytime between 11 am and within 6 hrs of finishing her second meal.

I only feed hay prior to bloodwork, and I'm lucky that my vet comes around the same time every time so Shaku's blood is pulled under the same conditions and his results are easily comparable because they are always 4-5 hrs after starting his breakfast of hay.  If you have any control over the scheduling,  I think making it for the "same time as last time" is a good idea.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History