Hypothyroidism or T3 conversion disorders in horses

Casey76

Hello,

Tartine’s latest blood tests have returned a lower than LLN T3, with mid-range T4.  Lab notes that primary hypothyroidism in horses is almost unheard of, and is more likely to be related to non-thyroid illness (Euthyroid sick syndrome); but have recommended a TRH test if I want to pursue this further.

Is there anything else I should be testing for? (ESR, CRP, other inflammatory markers?) Other than EMS and PSSM, she doesn’t really fit the profile for ESS.  She isn’t starved (sadly quite the opposite and we are having a devil of a time getting weight off her), doesn’t have chronic infections, is well supplemented with zinc, copper and selenium (bloods show selenium levels to be perfectly adequate)

Updated case history with all blood tests uploaded today.  Still waiting for the xrays to come from the vet
--
Katrina

Mar 2017, Sunderland, UK

Tartine Case History: https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Katrina%20and%20Tartine