Re: IR horse losing weigh

Sherry Morse

Hi Kathy,

Before you make any diet changes it would be a good idea to get bloodwork (insulin and glucose and vitamin E and selenium at the very least).  How long ago was the move?  What is the hay like compared to what they were eating?  Has it been tested?  Is she being fed individually or is she being fed in a herd setting?  How does this compare to how she was being fed prior to the move?

You can do a search of the archives but we do not recommend Stabul 1 Plus for IR horses.  You could add extra Stabul 1 in but I would again not do that until you have bloodwork completed and you know exactly how much she is eating now vs. what she should be eating for her ideal weight.