Re: Pergolide in non IR Cushings Horses

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Cheryl,

I don't see any harm in trialing pergolide in that situation.  Summer solstice is a bit early for PPID-related laminitis, but maybe it is a factor if insulin is actually normal.  I'm sure you know that 'normal' insulin (ie, within the lab reference range) does not necessarily mean the horse does not have EMS.  https://ecir.groups.io/g/main/message/245673

Similarly, a horse with PPID will do better if ACTH is kept in the middle of the reference range, so if the value is near the upper end of the range at a time of year that it should be at its lowest, then it is not actually normal.

Your friend would probably benefit from joining our group and doing a Case History so we can better evaluate the bloodwork and their situation though.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History