Re: Purina Integrity SuperFibra

Sherry Morse

Hi Mary Ann,

Based on Rosie's last blood test I would want to be 100% sure her ACTH was controlled on her current dose of Prascend prior to the seasonal rise this year.  Given her numbers and her history of laminitis I would not be feeding her the Purina product nor alfalfa pellets.  I would continue to use the rinsed/soaked/rinsed beet pulp and ODTBC as a carrier for her minerals as needed.

Your vet is correct that the administration of Dorm can have an effect on ACTH numbers but saying that there's no need to increase the dosage on a horse that has a reading that's almost 5x the upper limit is playing with fire IMO.  The goal of this group is NO laminitis and we prefer to be proactive rather than reactive.  At the end of the day you are Rosie's advocate, you are the one paying for her bloodwork and other associated care and the vet is providing you with a service.  We as a group have much more experience with PPID/IR/seasonal laminitis than the average vet so that's something to keep in mind as well.