Re: Bullitt - Body condition and Hoof Questions

Sarah Orlofske

Hello Lavinia,

THANK YOU So much for the mark ups on Bullitt's album. As always it is super helpful to have your expertise and the other contributions of this group to help me in Bullitt's care.

I used these mark ups with my farrier and I tried my very best to bring them up in a helpful and supportive way. When we were first struggling with Bullitt's laminitis our farrier was amenable to the feedback and I think overall he did a good job with getting us to our current trim. However, this time my farrier was more defensive and did not seem as interested in following advice. It is my observation that he thinks that Bullitt is fully recovered and that no further modifications to the trim are needed and that any imbalance in the hind feet are due to confirmation issues with Bullitt that he has had all along. He denied that the imbalance was a trim issue at all and said that as soon as he is trimmed they will go right back to being uneven and what I am recommending is more harm than good because he is just built this way. He seemed to think that the toes were fine the way they were, but he filed down a little anyway. Needless to say I was taken aback and very concerned. After all your hard work on the mark-ups and the feedback from this group I am concerned that Bullitt's trim is still not where we want it to be. I posted pictures from yesterday (about 5 days post trim). If you have any feedback on how well this actually meets what we need I would appreciate it. We are concerned that we may need to find another farrier, but it is very difficult to find one that works on Minis here and our current one was recommended specifically because he works well with minis. Are their changes I can make myself that would improve Bullitt's situation?  Is there a confirmation issue I should be concerned about? I really want to get Bullitt exercising again so we can try to address his insulin levels.

In terms of your other valuable feedback beyond the trim I appreciate that too. Financial and veterinary limitations have hindered us, but here is our current plan. Our vet thinks we are a bit overboard on the doses and thought we were fine from the last bloodwork so we have been trying to educate her that we want both horses on the lower end of the reference range. We are having bloodwork pulled July 24th and hoping we are not to late to make any adjustments heading into the rise. I will post results and get input here as soon as we get that back. Our vet is rather young and I am hoping that her experience with us will be a good learning experience for her too.

We do feed this hay currently and don't feed anything to Bullitt without soaking. Bullitt gets the hay that tested lowest as well, even though I do recognize now that it is not as accurate as recommended testing methods. Our plan is to plead/beg/bribe our neighbor who cuts our hay to do so as early in the morning as possible to try and get a cutting that is less S&S than what we have. We will get that tested the proper way and then get that new hay balanced directly. I am also considering taking the class to learn to do it myself. It seems like overkill for just the two minis we have, but since we grow our hay it seems like that may be a better long term investment. I agree that proper mineral balancing will be helpful. I also want to admit to having had a devil of a time getting them to eat anything remotely close to the recommended amounts of minerals (as evidenced by the case history of changes we made and all of the tricks I tried). The last Prascend dose increase really made a huge difference in both Kate and Bullitt's appetite and willingness to eat the recommended amount. It has been about 2 months now that they have been eating well and I do think that has helped as evidenced by hooves and coat. I am hoping that this will be a good stop-gap until we get our new hay in.

I hope that sounds like a good plan and any other feedback is welcome.
--
Sarah O.
Rudolph, WI