Re: Blood work and discouraged Insulin remains high

Eleanor Kellon, VMD

Good question about the 4 days! As often happens, the answer is - not sure. Metabolic adaptations in muscle generally persist for about a month after exercise starts but the "glucose hunger" that muscle has after exercise, which does not require insulin, is gone by about 24 hours.  I guess the answer is it might have had an effect but I don't know how much. I can tell you that when IR horses suddenly stop exercise they can become actively laminitic within 2 to 4 weeks.