Re: Need help Lavinia for Saraphina

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Cindy,

One thing my vet said she learned from a long-time mentor when we were discussing starting pergolide was: "Treat the horse, not the numbers."  IOW, if the signs are there then it doesn't matter if the bloodwork number is normal, treat the signs of disease in the horse.  ACTH is only one of the hormones elevated with PPID, but unfortunately it's the only one we test.  We know it is safe to increase the pergolide dose well above what you are giving, so once you start the APF and if you titrate up by 1/4 mg at a time Saraphina should be able to handle an increase.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History