Re: PHYTOQUENCH and Devil's Claw

Sherry Morse

Hi Linda,

The answer is 'it depends'.  If you're looking for a product to give her to hep when the farrier is there I would consider a one off NSAID administration (ie: bute) administered prior to the visit along with support wraps while she's being trimmed.  If you're looking for something long term I'd be much more comfortable with the Phyto-quench with Devil's Claw than a NSAID.  That would be for any horse, not just an IR/PPID one.  Other options would be a round of Adequan, Pentosan or hyaluronate.  Some people are using PEA with good results - if you do a search in the messages you can probably find info on that.