Re: Hoof abscesses in front hooves

Rhonda Turley

The hoof abscesses started in July 2019 while he was at a show competing.  Took him home and called my vet.  I had her do a metabolic panel.  Results were all in the normal range.  The hoof abscesses continued off and on for months.  I called her again about the hoof problems.  Her only comment was"Oh". The hoof abscesses finally went away in November.  I was worked on getting him fit and he was doing well but by February he had hoof abscesses off and on again.  Vet was no help again. Due to Covid all boarding barns in Ontario were forced into lockdown(no owners allowed).  My Farrier came to do a trim and told me my horse had laminitis episodes.  I called the vet service and again to come and x-ray his feet and the diagnosis was founder, seedy toe, white line disease, hypothyroid, IR, EMS, PPID.  Knowing what I learned from ECIR, I would have put him on Prascend in July 2019.  But I didn't know anything and neither did my vet service!  The hoof abscesses stopped when he was put on 1 mg Prascend in late April 2020.  I think I need to up his dose of Prascend to 1.5 mg?  And then test him again in November?
--
Rhonda Turley
Brampton, Ontario