Re: Syringing pergolide

Lavinia Fiscaletti

Hi Deb,

I've been syringing in compounded perg for many years as all of my PPID horses wouldn't eat it :( Currently, that is both of my little guys because they won't eat their capsules - they're really good at hiding them, then spitting them out 5 minutes later. Administering them whole would be easier but just not an option - gotta do what you gotta do to make sure they actually consume their meds.

I use a syringe with a cap on it so I can add 5mls water, then open the capsule and dump the contents into the syringe; put the the plunger back in, shake and administer. I just toss the empty capsule into their food buckets - I've never found a partial capsule later and even if they spit it out, no big deal.

Nappi, George and Dante Over the Bridge
Jan 05, RI
Moderator ECIR