Re: Hay Analysis

Hi, Karen.
We use the As Sampled column to determine the nutrients in hay. To determine the safety of hay for horses with EMS, combine ESC + Starch, making sure the total is less than 10% (and less for some equines). The total for this hay is 3.5%, ultra low.

Some details. Have you fed any of this hay? Does is pass the taste test? It looks to be very mature, with aNDF is 62.9. As a rule, when screening hay, I look for ADF and NDF in the range of 30-60 max. This is a very rough measure of the palatability and digestibility of the hay. If Montana Rose is used to Bermuda hay, it might be fine, at the high end of  acceptable. Combined with the very low ESC, though, the hay may not be palatable. I'd make sure my horse will eat it.

Another detail. We don't evaluate safe feeds using NSC. NSC is a measure that includes non-digestible carbohydrates. We check for carbohydrates that can affect insulin. Those are ESC and Starch. For a complete explanation, see the link to Dr Kellon's Horse Sense: https://drkhorsesense.wordpress.com/2021/09/10/nsc-fructans-and-ems-again/

It looks like the analysis you ordered from Equi-Analytical was the 601 Equi-Tech. That test uses faster and cheaper lab methods, near infrared and plasma spectroscopy, for the energy portion of the analysis -- results above the minerals starting with Calcium. Wet Chemistry (603 Trainer) is a more accurate and safer lab method. It takes longer and costs more. For this hay, the inaccuracy probably won't be a big problem because ESC is so low. However, in the future, especially where the hay's carbohydrates are unknown, be sure to test carbs using wet chemistry. The difference can be critical for a laminitic horse.
--
Cass, Sonoma Co., CA 2012
ECIR Group Moderator