Re: Coronary Bandy Dystrophy and Cushings

Maria Duran

Hi Rose,

I am sorry you are dealing with CBD, I have known two horses with this pathology and it´s quite distressing. As you have been adviced, controlling PPID is imperative to keep immune response healthy, also delivering the right nutrients, so that hoof horn and connective tissue grows propperly.

I will share with you what worked very very well for these two horses, but none of these were affected by Cushing, so the treatment must be approved here before you try if you like to.

The hooves had bad cracks (Lavinia and Dr. K know) and huge hoof rings along the hoof wall. The coronary bands were very descamative and inflammed. The heel bulbs and frogs were absolutely rotten and smelling horrible.

We applied Panolog daily over the clean tissue, this included the coronary band all around, and every crevice within the rotten frog and heel bulbs, also the central sulcus. This was done twice per day during the first week, then once daily.

This is the product just in case you can find something similar https://farmahigiene.es/producto/panolog/

And the composition:

  • Nistatina 100.000 U.I. (equivalentes aproximadamente a 22,73 mg).
  • Sulfato de neomicina 2.500 U.I. (equivalentes aproximadamente a 3,68 mg).
  • Tiostreptona 2.500 U.I. (equivalentes a aproximadamente 2,78 mg).
  • Acetónido de triamcinolona 1,0 mg.
Because it has a corticosteroid in the formula and antibiotic/antifungal ingredients, you need to ask your vet and here in the group.

In both cases we noticed quick improvement in the smelly frogs and heel bulbs and the tissues began to heal, but the CBs didn´t improve until much later, we first saw they were less scaly, but inflammation didn´t improve until almost the end of the treatment, just so that you know what was normal for these two horses.

Once the frog and heel bulbs looked like the infection was gone, we kept that with hoof stuff applied twice per week, placing it deep in the central sulcus and colateral grooves. We also applied Field paste in the crevices although they looked fine.

The CB seemed to be fine after a month but was dry, it didn´t look totally normal, but was a different type of skin problem that we associated to the CB being dry.

For this we applied Omnimatrix for rehydration and healing (I love this cream)  https://www.petsfarma.es/farmacia-para-perros/omnimatrix-pomada-cicatrizante-para-perros-y-gatos-11492.html?idpa=18793&gclid=Cj0KCQjws4aKBhDPARIsAIWH0JVCvG4Eeo8JOCSQ_AZg6S21iDiaRyOmbVe3l4Z6r7YPPTF3YNZpAoEaAoVPEALw_wcB

Composición:

-Centella asiatica

-Echinacea purpurea

-Calendula officinalis

-Hamamelis virginiana

-Malaleuca viridiflora

-Lavandula angustifolia

-Thuya occidentalis

-Salvia lavandulifolia

-Arnica montana

-ZnO

Was important too to keep the horses hooves dry and clean, no mud or moist and have a tight schedule of trimming to avoid pressure and stress in the coronary bands.

They are healthy now although we know the episodes can return, but as I said, these horses are not metabolic.

Hope it is of some help and something to try instead of oral corticosteroids.

--
María Durán Navarro
Dec 2017

Plutón´s Case History