Updates

Deb Walker

I updated Scotty's case history (just tweaked a few items to make sure it is accurate.) Basic change is I have added Jiagoluan back at 2 Tbsp. day as of yesterday. The reason I stopped it was that his feet were growing too quickly, and since I couldn't get my (then) farrier to come at reasonably shorter invervals, his hoof was just growing too much between trims.

So, now we are back to an old/new farrier who is doing an excellent job, and highly recommended by my vet. After she did the first 2 or 3 trims, Scotty was able to go totally bootless for the first time since 2017. He could walk on pavement, grass, etc. with no issues. As we continued to work slowly at backing up his toe and removing no sole, he would get sore. I would boot him for a few days and practice boots on/boots off. If he showed any discomfort the boots went right back on. He spent most of July bootless with no discomfort.

After his trim on July 29, he was unable to transition back to barefoot and remained booted 24/7.

On August 31 I discussed with his farrier the *bump* for lack of a better word on his sole (both fronts, but more prominent and painful on the right.) He could walk bootless in his shaving filled barn or on grass, but as soon as that *bump* touched pavement he couldn't do it. My farrier could see what I was talking about, and reluctantly rasped off just a tiny bit of sole where the bump was. He seemed immediately more comfortable, but still booted. We decided we really needed to see what his coffin bone was doing and where it was, so I had laterals on his fronts done 9/13. My farrier will be back out 9/22 (just a 3 week interval this time.) As a sidenote-there was no soft or squishy area on his soles and he didn't react to pressing on hit with hands/fingers.

The laterals are added to Scotty's photo album. As you can see, he has lost sole. It would be impossible to guess whether that was from the very tiny bit rasped off, or whether it was from almost a month of not wearing boots in July. His hoof continually grows down from the coronet band looking perfect, and then after a few weeks, his toe starts going forward.  I think you can see that from the x-rays, which are 2 weeks post trim.

The goal going forward will be to keep that toe from getting too long and hopefully with the addition of J he will grow more sole quickly. Because we are in the seasonal rise, I am not doing testing at this time, and evaluating by sight, condition, demeanor, etc. If (bless his soul) Scotty makes it through another winter, we will test in the spring for ACTH and Insulin.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, but I bow to my farrier to make any changes/decisions. I've lost 2 farriers who could not tolerate me asking questions...which were always asked in the most polite way. Sometimes I think men feel challenged if you ask a question, when all you really want is for them to explain to you what and why., and a question does not constitute unhappiness with their work. My new farrier (who did Scotty's feet years ago in a boarding barn - 2004/2005) told me to ask away...that is the only way you learn, and she is aware of the situation I had. Still, what one sees in a picture is not the same as holding that hoof in your hand. But if there are thoughts I should keep in the back of my mind...I'd appreciate it. Thank you as always.
--
Deb and Scotty I/R, PPID
Pecatonica Illinois, May 13, 2019
Case History:
 https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Deb%20and%20Scotty
Photos:
https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/album?id=90619

Join main@ECIR.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.