Re: Test not collected properly caused abn high reading?

Kirsten Rasmussen

Hi Jane,

If the sample was degraded the ACTH would be lower, not higher.  Similarly, the insulin and glucose would be lower, too.   But your glucose looks appropriate.  That said, I'm surprised the glucose in a blood sample left out for 2.5 hours wasn't metabolized at least a bit.  It's always possible a sample got mixed up though if the vet had multiple blood pulls that day so if the results really don't fit your horse, then a retest can be done.  We have seen other high readings like yours though, it's not that unusual.

--
Kirsten and Shaku (IR + PPID) - 2019
Kitimat, BC, Canada

Shaku's Case History