Re: Cortisol level and PPID

Trisha DePietro

Hi Marie. So, I think you are asking if ACTH causes increases in cortisol levels and the answer is yes. "cortisol levels are often elevated in PPID horses" is a general overarching statement.   the next sentence " PPID is characterized by increased production of cortisol because of increased levels of ACTH." So both statements are true...one is more specific than the other. I think the second sentence could be restated as " Because of increased levels of ACTH, Cortisol can be elevated in PPID horses. .....Where did you find this information and what is week 4 and week 5 referring to?  Hope this helps...
--
Trisha DePietro
Aug 2018