Re: Which supplement for Laminitis is the best?

Maxine McArthur

Hi Kim
Welcome to the group! Thank you for uploading QT's case history--it really helps the volunteers to have each horse's information collected in the one spot.
Just one more tiny step to get the link to show as 'live' (in blue), so we can access it with one click. You can do this by going to your 'Subscription' tab, and in the 'signature' box where you entered the link to the case history, position your cursor at the end of the link and either add a space, or hit 'enter'.  Then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and hit 'Save'. That's it.

I'll pop a couple of questions to you re the case history, but basically this message is to give you our long, information-dense welcome for all new members. In it you'll see what we suggest in terms of diagnosis and management for laminitic and metabolic equines--by 'metabolic', I mean EMS/insulin resistant or PPID (Cushings) equines. Please take the time to read carefully through the welcome message and click on the links, as I think it will answer your questions about QT's supplements.

From your case history:
Hay--I'm a little confused how much he is getting--there are three figures for hay. If his ideal weight is 440lbs, he should indeed be getting around 8lbs of hay, so that's perfect. If the hay is not tested to make sure it is safe in terms of sugar and starch, I'd be soaking it to see if that makes a difference to his soreness. Often just soaking the hay can dramatically help.
I'm not sure what the "HS-35" is, but I would check the sugar and starch, and if it's not safe (we recommend under 10% ESC + starch), stop feeding it. Even half a cup of a high-starch or high-sugar feed can make a sensitive pony sore. As a carrier for supplements, rinsed/soaked/rinsed non-molassed beet pulp is safe, as is soaked soyhull pellets.
You mention grazing on the lawn--a sore pony should have no grass at all, not a mouthful, until the laminitis has resolved, or you will just prolong the condition.
He can continue to have the flax, as this replaces omega-3 fatty acids that are lost when hay cures. We prefer plain iodised salt to coloured salts, and most of us add them to feed (or to hay) as it is almost impossible to monitor salt consumption from a block.
There is much information in the message below on diet.

Why are you feeding those three supplements? Thyrol-L is often used to kick-start weight loss, but it won't help lower his insulin if it's high, and high insulin is what causes laminitis. You don't mention a thyroid hormone test--was this done?
Remission is an expensive way to feed magnesium--you won't know if he needs extra magnesium until you analyse his hay, but if you do need to feed it, magnesium oxide is cheaper and just as effective.
Equinity is, again, very expensive amino acids, but you won't know if he needs extra protein until you analyse your hay.
Basically, if you can remove the trigger for his laminitis, whether that is raised insulin from his diet or possibly due to PPID, he will start to feel better. No supplement can substitute for correct dietary management for EMS horses.

You do mention exercise, which is a great way to help weight loss and bring insulin levels down, but we don't recommend formal exercise if a pony is still recovering from laminitis. In that case it is better to let them wander around at will. More on that below.

It doesn't look like you have had him tested for EMS, but it would be a good idea, as it will help you manage him going forward. Most ponies are EMS at baseline--that's why they can get fat on just the smell of grass! So if you know how his insulin levels correlate with symptoms such as crest and hoof tenderness, you can monitor him more effectively.

In any case, here is the big welcome message. I should add that if you have any trouble navigating around the group pages, the "Wiki" is your friend. All the topics you'll need are there.

Hello

Welcome to the group!

  • low carb (less than 10% sugar+starch)
  • low fat (4% or less)