New member

higardener

Hello -

I joined to get help with my 19 year old thoroughbred gelding Valentino.

About three weeks ago (October 15) he came up with digital pulses in both hinds. Bounding so that I could actually see them.
No heat in feet, (body) temperature normal, pulse normal, slight lameness which has since resolved. We have a vet appointment on Nov 19.
I would love advice on which tests to get and whether to do x-rays. Thinking PPID, insulin...

Started soaking his hay immediately  - 1.5% of body weight (1100) of medium quality orchard split between morning and evening.
Replaced 1lb of Triple Crown senior with 1lb of Blue Seal Sentinel Performance fed in a.m. He gets a daily mash of 1.25 lb of beet pulp, 2 oz wheat bran,
and 1lb alfalfa cubes, top dressed with magnesium citrate, salt (iodized), vitamin E, U-7 and Ester C p.m. (am re-evaluating supplement measurements -
presently using package recommendations by weight, and 3-4 Tbs salt depending on weather)

Val is housed on a mostly dry lot (sand) but was getting 30 minutes daily of grazing on (sparse centipede) grass in a separate paddock.
No access to grazing after finding pulses.

I transitioned him to barefoot 13 years ago. The trim cycle varies, unfortunately - mostly 6 weeks but occasionally longer. This is out of my control
as we live on a remote barrier island off the NC coast. Val has thin soles and feet that like to flare. We have battled with chronic white line/separation.
Val has a history of abscesses for the last 3 or 4 years - twice or three times annually that I know of - usually following rainy periods, spring /fall.
Since the beginning of this summer he has had a persistent crack in one of the fronts coinciding with the farrier stretching our cycle to 8 weeks several times.
There are no event lines as of last farrier visit 2 weeks ago. I have learned to trim under my farrier's instruction, and have increased my touch-up frequency to weekly.

Val started with respiratory allergies last spring which have been well controlled with cetirizine. That same summer (2020) he also became anhidrotic for the first time -
controlled well with ONE AC. The anhidrosis returned this summer as soon as it got really humid.

The only other things I can think of are until 3 years ago Val's water source was an iron-rich well point, and I mistakenly was feeding loose un-iodized salt until
mid-summer this year when I switched to ionized.

Thank you in advance. I am looking forward to learning about improving my horse's health with your help.