Re: Winter Coat is not coming in as usual

Karen Anderson

Hi Linda:   A few years ago my 20 yr old Hanoverian gelding (PPID but not IR) did not grow any coat over the winter after being clipped in October.  I was shocked. He was not uncomfortable as he runs "hot."  We are in Maryland and while he wore his medium weight blanket, he only needed the heavy weight for a few frigid days/nights that year.

I have increased his compounded pergolide over time and he is now at 5 mg/day and he is growing a little coat.

To sum up, while this may not be a normal sign of PPID, it was for my horse.

Karen Anderson

--
Karen and Fhinland in Maryland

Case Study:   https://ecir.groups.io/g/CaseHistory/files/Karen%20and%20Fhinland