Re: Vitamin E for IR horse and non IR horse

Candice Piraino

HI Marie,

It is best to increase your dosage if horse is on pasture to at least a minimum of 2,000 IU a day, and if not on pasture to a minimum of 4,000 IU. You should have a blood test on each horse to see how their vitamin E levels are and if they are deficient or not. Some metabolic horses do not adsorb/process it as well as others and can be very low/deficient, even on 4,000 IU a day. My personal experience is to test their blood. I was giving my own herd 4,000 IU a day on Emcelle and they are still very low, so I had to increase the dosage. Not all vitamin E supplements are made the same either.
--

Candice Piraino

Primary Response Team

September 2018, Summerfield, FL