Re: Alternate drug to Metformin

Hi Kandace,
I don’t know whether or not you were mistaken but metformin has been shown to have decreased effectiveness with time.  I’m sure this will vary from horse to horse.  We recommend doing everything possible with diet to bring insulin down and saving metformin for truly obstinate cases.  Once the metformin option is no longer working, the next step is invokana.  The drug your pharmacist friend recommended is for diabetic people.  It acts to bring blood sugar down.  What we’re looking to control is horses is insulin levels.  The blood sugar is generally in range.
--
Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo