Re: Still a bit high insulin level for Scooter

Edited

Hi Rhonda,

You’re not the only one to learn the hard way that the s/s of straw is not as low as you might guess.  It seems counterintuitive but it’s good to be aware.

I’m not aware of allergies causing ACTH to be elevated but allergies can be more problematic in horses with PPID that isn’t well controlled.  Your ACTH level is right where it should be but, unfortunately, that doesn’t always tell the entire story.  You could try increasing his pergolide to see if it helps with his allergies and brings his insulin down.  There’s no harm in increasing it and then bringing it back down if you don’t find it helpful.  Keep in mind that cold temps can cause elevated insulin.  You state that it was 2°C which isn’t too far below the 40°F I think I’ve seen suggested as a dividing point.  However, we advocate for striving to achieve an insulin value midway in the range, which would be 150 +, depending on the lower value of the reference range.

--

Martha in Vermont
ECIR Group Primary Response

Martha and Logo