Question re: starting timothy cubes

threehorsefarm

I have started my gelding on the cubes and am up to four pounds a day.  My goal is to increase to ten-twelve pounds.  Is it accurate that twelve pounds of cubes would be equivalent to fifteen pounds of hay?       How careful do I need to be in the process of increasing cubes/decreasing hay?   I'm concerned about risk of colic by just going to the 10-12 pounds without working up to it very slowly.

Also, if I can only feed the cubes 3 x a day that is about 4 pounds at once when I get him up to the desired amount per day.   Are there any concerns with feeding that much at one time?

He will be supplemented with my brome hay.   Thanks for any advice the group can give.

Robyn & Slim

Kansas 2012