checking pulses

Ditte

   Everywhere I look it's recommended checking for pulses at the fetlock or between fetlock and hoof. I've always done it right below the knee. My mare usually has her right front leg angled backwards when eating her haylage and her right side is closest to the stall door so easy to check and the right hoof is usually the one most affected. As said I check when the leg is angled back. If I can't feel the pulse and the area feels "firm/hard" and not spongy all is good. If there's a slight pulse and the leg is far back it's not optimal, but okay-ish depending on the circumstances. But probably time to be extra careful.  If I can feel the pulse when the leg is at a 90 degree angle it's bad and if it's there when the leg is angled forwards really really bad. Any reason why I should change the way I do it? I find it a lot easier to find the right spot doing it this way and wonder why others aren't doing it the same way?
--
   Ditte
   Denmark